Our Sleeping Bee...
Monday, July 7, 2008
Maya the Bee
John and I have always called Maya, Maya the Bee after the animated series. Little did we know that a hive of bees would try and find their queen bee, Maya. A hive started right above Maya's bedroom through an outside vent opening. After the bee specialists arrived and sprayed the bees, the bees discovered that the attic leads to our vents inside the home. For the next 74 hours (yes, it takes them that long to die) they began overtaking our home. Picture a Hitchcock film or an undocumented plague of bees in the bible and you get where we are coming from. We immediately hit the road and camped out at La Casa Aunt Mary and Uncle Marty for close to a week. Not a bad place to be, swimming everyday and wonderful meals everynight (I know, it is tough to feel bad for us at this point, but stay with me). The bee specialists had to return to cut a hole in the wall to get the honey out (I should have kept the honeycombs and sold a few bottles of Maya's Honey). As the specialist turned around to leave, he exclaimed, "oh s**t." Our walnut tree in the backyard was swarming with hundreds of bees. He said it started in the last 2 hours and they were marking their territory to start a new hive. Yes folks, a whole new queen and hundreds of bees were making their way to Maya. The specialists immediately boxed up that group and away they went with two hives of bees. Thought I would let Maya illustrate our week...
"Bees are funny and they make great white noise for my bedroom, do you really have to get rid of them?"
"What, Aunt Mary and Uncle Marty's house. This just gets better and better. I get to go swimming and play with new toys. And, of course, get undivided attention from so many adults."
"I don't want to leave, it is so nice to be here. Please, don't take me back to the house of bees.."
"Going back home, can we at least go get a potato ball at Porto's?"
Our Sleeping Bee...
Our Sleeping Bee...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Oh my goodness! I am glad they found the second colony and that no one got hurt! I think it's great that Maya's nickname now has such a cool story to go with it.
Holy Moly! Thank goodness everything ended up okay. I love Maya the Bee...so sweet.
And here I always thought of her as "Maya Papaya"!! See you in about a week -- YEAH!!
Ross
What a dramatic week! I'm glad you got the bee-wranglers to round them up and cart them away. It's nice that you were able to hang out at your Aunt Mary's house in the meantime.
Post a Comment